archive-com.com » COM » B » BUSCOT-PARK.COM

Total: 293

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • The Dutch Room
    Jany 12th 1771 The two satinwood commodes with concave fronts inlaid with paterae are closely related to Chippendale s work in the neo classical style of about 1775 and the commode on the wall opposite the door in mahogany and satinwood is of the same period Between the windows is an unusual pair of side tables of the Sheraton period completely veneered with tortoiseshell stained green and red The oval mirrors above in giltwood frames with festoons of husks paterae and ribbons are further examples of the Adam style At the far end of the room are a pair of fine inlaid cabinets probably made in Spain or the Spanish Netherlands The highly elaborate tops of the cabinets decorated with red stained tortoiseshell and engraved bone date from the mid seventeenth century and are considerably older than their bases On the early ninteenth century writing table are two early Qing vases and covers of the mid seventeenth century The set of rosewood and walnut occasional tables the smallest having a chequerboard top is probably by Gillows of Lancaster dating from the Regency period On one of these occasional tables is a silver case confirming Stephen Henry Sulivan s an ancestor of Lord Faringdon s paternal grandmother commission as First Secretary at Lisbon signed by William IV To the front of the fireplace stands a pair of Sheraton satinwood pole screens with painted panels The display coffee table contains a small collection of perfume bottles small pieces of jade and a silver chess set Ceramics and Objets d Art The bronzes on the chimney piece include a pair of cupids their late eighteenth century ormolu plinths swagged with laurel baguettes in the Greek style fashionable during Louis XVI s reign as well as a group of three putti all nineteenth century

    Original URL path: http://www.buscot-park.com/house/the-dutch-room (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive


  • The Passage
    Aesculus are by Stephen Gillies and Kate Jones who combined their skills to create these natural forms inspired by the horse chestnut seed The other two pieces Resolving Significance on the left and Degrees of Separation VIII on the right are by Sally Fawkes whose great gift as a glassmaker is for producing work employing extraordinary mirrored and reflective qualities On the other are two alabaster canopic jars from Egypt and a bronze by Philip Blacker 1993 of Remittance Man with his inseparable companion Nobby Beneath this table stands a large Caltagirone vase from Sicily dated 1730 under the other an oriental Imari vase The marble statue of Diana is of the Hellenistic period but has been much restored It stands on a Roman tombstone commemorating a girl of sixteen On the marble pedestal sits a Renaissance costumed bronze Love s Coronet by the Arts and Crafts sculptor Sir William Reynolds Stephens 1862 1943 dated 1902 and exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1903 For Visually Impaired Print Page View Map of Grounds April 2016 Opening Days M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

    Original URL path: http://www.buscot-park.com/house/the-passage (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Dining Room
    fronted mahogany sideboard are a number of pieces of early eighteenth century Chinese Export armorial porcelain bearing the arms of Stephen Sulivan a director of the East India Company and an ancestor of Lord Faringdon Either side are a pair of William IV cut glass five light candelabra circa 1830 They are part of a series of lighting supplied to the 6th Duke of Devonshire in 1831 for use in his London residence Devonshire House by the leading manufacturer of chandeliers W H Perry Payment is recorded in the 6th Duke s accounts for the supply of lamps in 1831 at a total cost of 60 7s 6d This figure was not only for this pair of candelabra but also included the supply of other candelabra and at least three chandeliers one of which hangs in the Yellow Drawing Room here at Buscot Park This pair was purchased by the Trustees at the Chatsworth Attic Sale organised by Sotherby s in October 2010 The left hand candelabra has been extensively restored The chandelier is a fine example of English red flushed overlay strawberry glass of about 1860 On the mantelpiece is a French nineteenth century clock with a barley sugar glass mechanical waterfall Pictures The tenebrous painting above the sideboard is by the Welsh landscape painter Richard Wilson and has been identified from a bill in Sir Watkin Williams Wynn s possession as A View in the Villa Chigi at Ariccia No 18 It was originally part of Sir Watkin s collection at this country house in north Wales Wynnstay George Lambert one of the earliest painters of natural landscape in England is represented above the Adam tables by a pair of classical views belonging to the category of copies and variants that he made of Claude and Gaspard Poussin

    Original URL path: http://www.buscot-park.com/house/the-dining-room (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Saloon
    Lord Faringdon and his trustees in 1995 by Alidad to mark the one hundredth anniversary of the installation of the Burne Jones cycle and the centenary of the National Trust s foundation Furniture The set of giltwood chairs and the settee all in their original silk upholstery are Empire and bear the stamp of the ébéniste Pierre Antoine Bellangé 1757 1827 They are almost identical to those supplied to Madame du Cayla for the Château de Saint Ouen in 1818 and to a suite of c 1808 to be seen at Fontainebleau The pair of semi circular side tables with parcel gilt legs and frieze and with satinwood tops finely inlaid with floral designs are reputed to be the gift of George III who stayed at Buscot after an illness and are among the few pieces of furniture in the house to survive from Loveden s day They may well be the work of Charles Elliott and were probably conceived as a set of four a similar pair having been at Mereworth Castle in Kent until they were sold in 1968 The two small inlaid commodes either side of the chimney piece are French nineteenth century in the Louis XV style The two marquetry commodes with Brescia marble tops one at each end of the room are masterpieces of late eighteenth century cabinet making executed in the workshops of Giuseppe Maggiolini d 1815 and probably designed by Giuseppe Levati The fine Regency library table in the centre of the room of faded mahogany with bronze enrichments and ebony and brass inlay in the French taste is probably the work of John McLean whose workshops were in London s Tottenham Court Road and it too was supplied to Barnsley Park during Nash s remodelling of 1806 9 The giant candelabra between the windows each composed of two bronze water nymphs holding a vase with a spray of ormolu flowers the upper flowers forming greasepans belong to a set of four presented by King Louis Philippe 1773 1850 to the Iron Duke Arthur 1st Duke of Wellington 1769 1852 for Apsley House London The other pair remains at Apsley The Venetian glass chandelier was exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851 and the carpet is late nineteenth century by Ziegler Ceramics The Saloon contains some interesting porcelain By the desk is a late nineteenth century famille verte fish bowl on a giltwood stand On the Italian commode stand two square Arita bottles of c 1700 and an unusual large Arita bottle of about 1675 the globular body enamelled with birds flowers and brocade patterns in Holland in the early eighteenth century The base bears the initials I C in underglaze blue probably for Johannes Camphuys a Dutch merchant who as principal in Deshima in 1671 1673 and 1675 was entitled to have porcelain made to his private order and bearing his cipher The first of the semi circular side tables carries a garniture of Chinese turquoise monochrome ware and the second a

    Original URL path: http://www.buscot-park.com/house/the-saloon (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Drawing Room
    the Metropolitan Museum in New York a pair of semi circular card tables and two Pembroke tables The pair of convex fronted side tables set on either side of the fireplace are reputed to have been given to Lady Hamilton by Nelson The set of six oval back chairs and settee in giltwood are in the Adam style of about 1775 The writing table on which stands a French Empire ormolu mantel clock attributed to the bronzier Jean André Reiche is a good example of a Carlton House desk So named according to Rudolf Ackerman in his Repository of Arts of 1809 28 from having been first made for the August personage whose correct taste has so classically embellished that beautiful place The prototype Carlton House desk was probably made by Robert Campbell around 1780 90 Both Hepplewhite and Sheraton published patterns in 1795 and 1802 respectively and several leading cabinet makers produced their own versions including Gillows who may have made this particular desk On the chimney piece is a small clock in ormolu and lapis lazuli by James Cox fl 1760 88 designed as a two handled vase The chandelier is English originally from Devonshire House in Piccadilly and is one of a rare series evolved by Perry Co in the 1830s which dispensed entirely with drops and relied instead for its brilliance and luminosity on the sculptural properties of the glass The freestanding bracket cabinet of two tiers is in the style of the eighteenth century designer Robert Adam and was commissioned from Thomas Messel in 2012 to house a collection of Maiolica plates purchased at auction in 1950 from the collection of Henry Harris and three portrait miniatures The larger of the miniatures in the centre of the lower vitrine is of Edward Loveden Loveden c1749 1822 who was responsible for the building of Buscot Park between 1780 and 1783 The left hand miniature is of the 1st Lady Faringdon 1854 1920 the present Lord Faringdon s paternal great grandmother whilst the miniature on the right is of his maternal great grandmother the Countess of Donoughmore who was from Tasmania Ceramics Sculpture and Objets d Art On the side tables are two seventeenth century Italian earthenware chargers painted in pale blue a German rock crystal bowl supported by a satyr modelled in ormolu a Viennese early eighteenth century rock crystal and enamelled casket and an early nineteenth century Wedgwood vase in the form of an Egyptian canopic jar and cover On the table behind the sofa the four new bronzes are the work of Professor Cenci of Florence Further objets d art include a collection of Derbyshire fluorspar or Blue John some of it on the chimney piece three Kangxi 1662 1722 cloisonné enamel koros incense burners with bronze mounts a seventeenth century statue of the Virgin and Child in semi precious stones possibly from the Florentine Grand Ducal workshops and a Spanish carved ivory figure of the Virgin of the same date or slightly later

    Original URL path: http://www.buscot-park.com/house/the-drawing-room (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Staircase Hall
    indicator which turns the hand The hand then follows any change in direction of the weather vane Pictures The pictures are for the most part Italian though the copy of Raphael s La Belle Jardinière No 66 is likely to be by a Northern artist such as Joos van Cleeve On the half landing the St Jerome No 41 is a good example of the work of Palma Giovane But the outstanding picture is the Murillo The Triumph of the Eucharist No 70 originally from a set of four canvasses commissioned for the Church of Santa María la Blanca in Seville and removed during the Peninsular War 1808 14 two of the other pictures in the series now hang in the Prado in Madrid and the third is in the Louvre The small collection of Old Master drawings displayed at the far end of the staircase wall includes some sensitive studies of hands attributed to Lely Nos 314 317 and a Pilgrim No 312 and a Kneeling Youth No 304 perhaps by the Bolognese brothers Agostino or Annibale Carracci and their cousin Lodovico respectively Other drawings are attributed to Maratta Nos 306 307 and Il Guercino Nos 303 311 The group in the single frame includes three studies No 318 by Rembrandt The Angel seated on the Tomb The Good Samaritan tending the Wounded Man the more elaborate of the two drawings of this composition and The Good Samaritan coming upon the Wounded Man The large profile Head of a Woman No 320 is a fragment of a cartoon for the ceiling of the Barberini Palace in Rome by Pietro da Cortona Furniture and Sculpture The furniture here includes an Empire side table a larger version of the pair in the Entrance Hall four early nineteenth century hall chairs with fan shaped backs in the Biedemeier taste probably Viennese and similar to furniture by Johann Nepomuk Geyr of c 1825 30 a walnut long case clock decorated with floral marquetry of early eighteenth century date by Nicolaes Nieuwenhoff of Amsterdam and a mahogany card table of about 1760 Standing on the early nineteenth century bookcases nearby are several bronzes they include Onslow Ford s Linus see the Lady Lever Gallery in Port Sunlight the Borghese Warrior after the antique marble at the Louvre and a seated Mercury after the original in the Museo Nazionale in Naples The bronze horse is almost certainly the work of the Giambologna Susini workshop in Florence The intriguing Gothic panelled doors in cuban mahogany on either side of the window overlooking the swimming pool at the end of the passage were brought by the 2nd Lord Faringdon from 18 Arlington Street London then the family s London residence which was demolished to make way for the Arlington House apartment block The doors may originally have been among those made for Pomfret Castle the Countess of Pomfret s remarkable Perpendicular Gothic revival house built under the direction of Sanderson Miller in 1757 9 now also demolished

    Original URL path: http://www.buscot-park.com/house/the-staircase-hall (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Normanton Room
    than the Palladian house itself now demolished built for Sir John Heathcote by Richard Jupp in 1735 40 The late eighteenth century chimney piece was introduced by the 2nd Lord Faringdon in the 1930s The pictures here are mainly by twentieth century artists Peter Greenham Jane Dowling John Ward a portrait of the present owner and his family painted in 1978 Sir Edmund Fairfax Lucy Emily Patrick Ken Howard Peter Kuhfeld Allan Gwynne Jones and Emilie Gwynne Jones and they have been bought in the last few years by the Trustees of the Faringdon Collection The furniture includes a set of four giltwood armchairs with oval backs and a settee upholstered in nineteenth century Beauvais tapestry An early eighteenth century French chasuble is on a stand beside the bed For Visually Impaired Print Page View Map of Grounds April 2016 Opening Days M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next Opening Day 30th April 2016 Click here to view all 2016 Opening Days House Grounds Open Grounds Open Only Closed

    Original URL path: http://www.buscot-park.com/house/the-normanton-room (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Normanton State Bed
    the silk hangings had deteriorated considerably over the years and were patched and held together by fine protective netting These included the four curtains the back cloth the coverlet some of the cornices and valances and the headboard Some of the silk braids decorating the cornices and valances of the outer tester headboard and base valances had also lost their original colour The Faringdon Collection Trust The Normanton State Bed is part of The Faringdon Collection which forms the contents of Buscot Park The Collection is looked after by the Trustees who in 2014 agreed to carry out major conservation work to the tester headboard and valances and to reweave and copy exactly the original silk damask This major conservation and restoration project was entirely funded by The Faringdon Collection Trust and designed to preserve this magnificent bed for at least another century and allow its continued use during the winter months when Buscot Park is closed to visitors but lived in by the Henderson family The project was completed within six months between May and October 2015 Conservation Work Fortuitously the Richard Humphries Weaving Company based in Sudbury Suffolk had recently rewoven the identical patterned damask but in different colours for the George 1 st State Bed made for Kensington Palace in 1723 but now at Chatsworth the bed having been acquired by the 4 th Duke of Devonshire in 1761 Richard Humphries took considerable time and trouble to match the exact colours of the original damask which was woven from a warp of crimson silks and a weft of green silks to achieve the deep crimson and silvery blue of the original material Heritage Trimmings of Derby copied one of the original braids which had been so badly faded that it looked bleached of any colour The new

    Original URL path: http://www.buscot-park.com/house/normanton-state-bed (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive



  •