archive-com.com » COM » M » MYTRAVELMUNICH.COM

Total: 218

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Munich Squares: Sendlingertorplatz
    and now separates the historic city center from the area Isarvorstadt The other two city gates of this second city wall that still exist are the Isartor and the Karlstor Originally the appearance of the Sendlinger Tor was similar to that of the Isartor In 1810 however the medium tower was removed and in 1906 the three archways between the two towers were replaced by one large archway There is

    Original URL path: http://mytravelmunich.com/sendlingertorplatz.html (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Munich Squares: Karlsplatz (Stachus)
    Emperor Ludwig IV in 1302 It was constantly extended and fortified within the course of time As it was destroyed to a large extent in 1857 it was rebuilt and redesigned by Arnold Zenetti in neo Gothic style Between 1899 and 1902 the Karlsplatz or Stachus circus was constructed by Gabriel v Seidl who also redesigned the Karlstor The more common name Stachus is probably due to the innkeeper Eustachius

    Original URL path: http://mytravelmunich.com/karlsplatz.html (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Munich Squares: Viktualienmarkt
    market It is about 200 years old and started as market for the sale of herbs Here you find not only exotic fruits and vegetables but also typically Bavarian food and snacks as well as spices and flowers On the Viktualienmarkt there also is a beergarden The Schrannenhalle near the Viktualienmarkt that was built in 1851 by King Max II was reconstructed and re opened in 2005 as meeting point

    Original URL path: http://mytravelmunich.com/viktualienmarkt.html (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Munich Churches: Asamkirche
    church is quite small The foundation area of the church only 22 x 8 meters Thanks to the fact that the Asam brothers the most important representatives of the south German baroque style were not obliged to meet the ideas of a sponsor or an employer the Asam Church shows some extraordinary features The altar is positioned in such a way that Egid Quirin Asam could look on it from

    Original URL path: http://mytravelmunich.com/asamkirche.html (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Munich Churches: Frauenkirche
    buiding works of the Frauenkirche which is a Catholic cathedral started in 1468 and were completed in 1488 In 1525 the towers received their copper onion shaped domes Except for the domes which are of Renaissance style the Frauenkirche is of late Gothic style and was designed by the architect Jörg von Halspach in order to replace an older church In the Second World War the Frauenkirche was seriously destroyed so that not much except for the skeleton structure remained However it was rebuilt within a short period Even if you don t want to attend a Catholic mass masses are carried out regularly there is still quite a lot to see inside the Frauenkirche The exterior as well as the interior of the Frauenkirche are really simple but despite this very impressive There is a huge amount of octagonal pillars that support the structure When you enter the cathedral you will be overwhelmed by the simplicity of the building In addition you will not see a window except for the front one in the sanctuary because the other windows are hidden by the pillars In the entrance hall there is a strange footprint on the floor guess from whom

    Original URL path: http://mytravelmunich.com/frauenkirche.html (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Munich Churches: St. Kajetan (Theatinerkirche)
    and her husband put the Bolognese architect Agostino Barelli in charge of designing St Kajetan in late baroque style The construction works of the church however took very long because many problems occurred The architect Agostino Barelli started building St Kajetan on the model of the church St Andrea della Valle in Rome Due to arguments with the construction manager Antonio Spinelli Barelli managed to finish the structural works only

    Original URL path: http://mytravelmunich.com/st-kajetan.html (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Munich Churches: St. Ludwig
    Ludwig The Munich church St Ludwig Ludwigskirche in Ludwigsstrasse next to the Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich was built between 1829 and 1844 according to plans of the architect Friedrich von Gärtner Within the scope of extensive building works in the area in the city center of Munich as well as in Schwabing the construction of the church was ordered by King Ludwig I The church St Ludwig was supposed

    Original URL path: http://mytravelmunich.com/st-ludwig.html (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Munich Churches: St. Peter's Church
    place of an older wooden church on the Petersbergl a small elevation in the center of Munich between Marienplatz and Rindermarkt around which monks lived from the 8th century onwards The real origin of St Peter however is not clear either the old church was replaced or extended In 1181 Otto I of Wittelsbach ordered to enlarge this Romanesque church and it was consecrated by Bishop Otto of Freising About 100 years later the church was pulled down and a new but not a larger church was built which was completed and consecrated by the bishop in 1294 In a large fire at the beginning of the 14th century St Peter was destroyed to a large extent It was rebuilt but this time the style was not Romanesque but Gothic In 1630 it was decided to extend St Peter The east choir of Gothic style was pulled down and replaced by a large extension this time Renaissance style The development of change and addition of other styles continued In the 19th century St Peter was redesigned in the Rococo style for example by the architect Johann Baptist Zimmermann Unfortunately the church was seriously destroyed in the Second World War and

    Original URL path: http://mytravelmunich.com/st-peter.html (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive