archive-com.com » COM » W » WINDSORFIRE.COM

Total: 394

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Windsorfire.com - Co-op Student's Sing Along
    JavaScript to be enabled and the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player If you are using a browser with JavaScript disabled please enable it now Otherwise please update your version of the free Adobe Flash Player by downloading here

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/sing-along/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive

  • 100 Years of Motorized Apparatus - WindsorFire.com
    plant on Walker Road After a slow uncertain start in the early years of the 20th century motorization of fire departments across the United States and Canada shifted into high gear in the teens Vancouver B C was the first fire department in Canada to motorize starting with the purchase of two motor hose wagons and a chemical car in 1907 Toronto Ottawa and Hamilton all purchased W E Seagrave aircooled motor combination hose and chemical engines in 1911 Montreal began its motorization program by replacing the three horses that pulled its largest Waterous steam fire engine with a four wheel motor tractor built by W E Seagrave in 1912 And so it went throughout the decade By 1920 most cities and towns had retired their faithful fire horses in favor of much faster far more efficient motor fire engines Purchased at a cost of 12 000 Windsor s first motorized fire truck was placed into service at the Pitt Street headquarters fire station on April 14 1914 Powered by a 96 horsepower six cylinder engine the shiny new engine had a rear mounted 750 gallon per minute pump surmounted by a large hose box Hard suction hoses were slung over the truck s front fenders Almost immediately Fire Chief George Murray discovered that the city three horse drawn hose wagons were unable to keep up with the far faster motor pumper So it was that in the following year two locally built Medard motor hose combinations were acquired to replace the horse drawn hose wagons at the city s west and east end fire stations In 1916 a Menard motor tractor was purchased to replace the horses that pulled Windsor s 1910 Seagrave aerial ladder truck Despite the seasonal festivities it was a sad day when Windsor s last

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/100-years-motorized-apparatus/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Rebuilding Engine No. 5 - WindsorFire.com
    Older Adults Smoke Alarm Information Carbon Monoxide Information Sprinklers Translated Materials Firefighters Become a Firefighter In the Line of Duty Padre s Corner Prayers Creeds Thoughts Co op Students Spring 2016 Fall 2015 Spring 2015 Fall 2014 Spring 2014 Fall 2013 Fall 2012 Spring 2012 Fall 2011 Spring 2011 Co op Photo Gallery WFRS History Apparatus Histories Fire Stations Histories Firefighting Traditions Misc History Articles Rebuilding Engine No 5 in WFRS Apparatus Histories 13 Mar 2014 Engine 5 After 1963 Collision Under Repair in WFD Shops Mechanics Dave Wedow and Mike Koehl As Good As New Engine 5 After Rebuilding A A A On August 31 1963 the Windsor Fire Department s Engine No 5 a 1952 Bickle Seagrave 1050 gpm pumper was extensively damaged in a collision with an automobile at the intersection of Wyandotte Street West at Wellington Avenue The pumper the first out front engine at the W F D headquarters fire station on Pitt St E was responding to an alarm in the west end of the city Although three passengers in the car struck by the pumper were injured none of the pumper s crew were hurt in the late afternoon collision The pumper was towed back to the W F D Repair Shops on Richmond St next door to Station No 2 A few days later Chief of Apparatus Romeo Nantais contacted the truck s original manufacturer in Woodstock Ontario for an estimate of the cost to repair the damaged pumper When the builder s estimate came in far higher than anticipated the shops decided to do the repairs themselves The entire front end of the wrecked pumper was removed The heavily damaged grille and front fenders were repaired A new chrome bumper was fabricated and the pumper s big V 12 motor was

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/rebuilding-engine-no-5/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Luverne Rescue Squad - WindsorFire.com
    Dec 2013 The 2001 Luverne Spartan Squad at WFRS Headquarters Former Squad 6 at Station 2 A A A It s a long way from sunny Phoenix Arizona to Canada s southernmost city but one of the more interesting rigs to see service with the Windsor Fire Rescue Service made that long trek northward in 2003 The apparatus was a heavy duty rescue squad purchased by Windsor from the Phoenix Fire Department Built by the Luverne Fire Apparatus Company of Brandon South Dakota on a 2001 Spartan custom chassis with raised roof crew cab the heavy rescue unit has eight large equipment compartments four on each side of its ample body with roll up doors The truck is also equipped with a 500 gallon per minute booster pump and 500 gallon water tank A preconnected attack hose line is carried in a transverse tray on the truck s extended front bumper But the new rescue rig s most unique visual feature is a pair of big air conditioning units mounted on the cab roof intended to keep the truck s crew cool in Phoenix s often sweltering desert heat A Federal Q mechanical siren and dual air horns siren are mounted in the centre of the rig s massive front bumper On the street the Luverne is easily recognizable by the distinctive Phoenix style S shaped reflective striping on its rear cab doors Following a two year experiment with intermediate sized rescue squad apparatus the Phoenix Fire Department took the 2001 Luverne Spartan squad out of service and put it up for sale In 2003 former Windsor Fire Chief David Fields scooped up the nearly new custom built apparatus for a fraction of its original purchase price and had it shipped to Windsor The white over red Luverne Spartan squad

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/the-luverne-rescue-squad/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Cafs Pumper - WindsorFire.com
    2013 Fall 2012 Spring 2012 Fall 2011 Spring 2011 Co op Photo Gallery WFRS History Apparatus Histories Fire Stations Histories Firefighting Traditions Misc History Articles The Cafs Pumper in WFRS Apparatus Histories 18 Oct 2013 Engine 1A the 1995 Carl Thibault Spartan CAFS Pumper The CAFS engine In service as Engine 6 A A A In late 1995 Windsor Fire Rescue Services took delivery of a new triple combination pumper with a difference Built by Carl Thibault Ltd of Drummondville Quebec on a Spartan custom chassis the new pumper was Windsor s first and only engine equipped with a CAFS Compressed Air Foam System A compressed air foam system is defined as a standard fire apparatus pump into which compressed air can be added to a foam solution to generate fire killing foam The compressor also provides extra energy which propels the compressed air foam farther than a standard water nozzle Components include a centrifugal fire pump a water source foam concentrate tanks a rotary type air compressor a direct injection foam proportioning system on the discharge side of the pump a mixing chamber or device and a control system to ensure the correct mixture of concentrate water and air Although the basic concept had been around for many years it was the W S Darley Company of Chicago that championed the concept and became the fire apparatus industry s leading proponent of CAFS firefighting technology In 1994 the Darley company took a CAFS demonstrator pumper on a coast to coast tour across North America to spread the word about CAFS and demonstrate this relatively new technology to the U S and Canadian fire service Among those convinced of the CAFS system s superiority was Windsor Fire Chief David Fields who decided to equip the department s next new pumper

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/the-cafs-pumper/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Back to Red: 1993 Carl Thibault Pumper - WindsorFire.com
    Thibault Spartan in original form as Engine 6 The Thibault Spartan s last front line assignment was as Engine 5 A A A In November 1974 the Windsor Fire Department took delivery of its first lime yellow rig a 1050 IGPM pumper built by King Seagrave Ltd of Woodstock Ontario on a tilt cab Ford C chassis with extended canopy cab Lettered Engine No 6 on its cab doors the new pumper was placed into service in late December as the first out pumper at the WFD Headquarters station on Goyeau St Windsor had joined the accelerating trend to lime green or yellow apparatus that was sweeping the fire service across North America Optometric tests had supposedly proved that bright yellow or lime colored fire apparatus was more visible at night than those painted the traditional fire department red Over the next two decades the W F D purchased a dozen new pumpers aerial ladder trucks elevating platforms rescue squads and support vehicles including chief s and command cars painted the trendy lime yellow Some older apparatus originally red was also repainted the new lemon color But by the late 1980s many fire departments across Canada and the U S were quietly switching back to red apparatus Like over ripe bananas yellow and lime green fire engines had never really been embraced by fire service traditionalists and many taxpayer citizens Major advances in warning light technology had made fire apparatus and other emergency vehicles highly visible under all conditions including at night So it was nineteen years after that 1974 King Ford was delivered Windsor switched back to red fire apparatus In the latter part 1993 the W F D purchased its first new pumper in nearly a decade The new engine was built by a Quebec manufacturer Carl Thibault

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/back-to-red-1993-carl-thibault-pumper/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Saulsbury E.S.U. - WindsorFire.com
    Handbook Preparing for Tornadoes Thunderstorms Be Ready for Winter Weather Public Education General Fire Safety Issues Building Owners When Disaster Strikes Hotel Fire Safety Home Fire Safety Outdoor Fire Safety Youngsters Fire Safety Fire Safety Fall Prevention for Older Adults Smoke Alarm Information Carbon Monoxide Information Sprinklers Translated Materials Firefighters Become a Firefighter In the Line of Duty Padre s Corner Prayers Creeds Thoughts Co op Students Spring 2016 Fall 2015 Spring 2015 Fall 2014 Spring 2014 Fall 2013 Fall 2012 Spring 2012 Fall 2011 Spring 2011 Co op Photo Gallery WFRS History Apparatus Histories Fire Stations Histories Firefighting Traditions Misc History Articles The Saulsbury E S U in WFRS Apparatus Histories 24 Jul 2013 2000 Sausbury Spartan ESU Emergency Services Unit 2000 Sausbury Spartan ESU Emergency Services Unit A A A During the summer of 2000 the Windsor Fire Rescue Service took delivery of three new pieces of apparatus built by a well known American fire apparatus manufacturer Saulsbury Fire Rescue Equipment of Preble N Y near Syracuse The order included a pumper a heavy rescue squad and a special equipment carrier known as the Emergency Services Unit or E S U All three were built on Spartan custom fire apparatus chassis While the pumper and heavy rescue unit were built on the Spartan Gladiator chassis the E S U was built on the less expensive Spartan Metro Star chassis The compact ESU rides on a shorter wheelbase than the other two Saulsbury Spartans but has the same style of compartmented body with roll up doors The E S U has been quartered at the WFRS s Headquarters Station 1 on Goyeau St for its entire career It is often dispatched to multiple alarm fires to provide refilling of self contained breathing apparatus SCBA bottles utilizing its on board

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/the-saulsbury-e-s-u/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Windsor's Mobile Command Posts - WindsorFire.com
    WFRS Apparatus Histories 7 May 2013 Its predecessor the 1965 Mobile Command Post The Custom Built 1985 Orion Incident Command Centre A A A In the good old days it wasn t hard to find the Chief Engineer on the fireground he was the commanding figure in the white helmet and coat barking orders to his men through his speaking trumpet Firefighting has changed a lot since then of course and incident command is a vital function at fires and other major public emergencies One thing that hasn t changed is the need for a designated location on the fireground where command officers and other specialists rescue Hazmat structural gas and power utilities etc can implement carefully pre planned strategies for handling major incidents with maximum safety for firefighters other first responders and the public In 1961 the Windsor Fire Department purchased its first Command Car a Chevrolet station wagon that was more than just transportation for a District Chief Equipped with the department s first electronic siren which could also be used as an external public address system the Command Car was a highly visible nerve centre at the fire scene As firefighting became far more complex and scientific a need arose for a more advanced fireground command vehicle In the early 1980s the W F D acquired a recently retired 1965 GMC transit coach bus from Transit Windsor which the W F D shops converted over the next two years into its first dedicated Mobile Command Post In addition to a well equipped office with all of the latest radio communications equipment maps hazmat data mini kitchen and a conference table the Mobile Command Post also served as an on site rehabilitation centre where weary firefighters could take a well deserved break out of the winter cold or

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/windsors-mobile-command-posts/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive



  •