archive-com.com » COM » W » WINDSORFIRE.COM

Total: 394

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Windsor's Only Steam Fire Engine - 1868 Amoskeag - WindsorFire.com
    North America precipitating as it did the replacement of often rowdy politically powerful volunteers with the first paid professional fire departments The romantic era of the steam fire engine immortalized by classic images of a straining three horse hitch with flared nostrils flying hooves and billowing smokestack spanned a period of precisely 65 years culminating with the delivery of the last steam fire engine in 1917 As far as can be ascertained the Windsor Fire Department had only one horse drawn steam fire engine in its long history As was the case in many towns and cities the acquisition of the city s only steam fire engine was a belated response to an emergency rather than the result of any visionary planning Six months to the day after Canada s birth as a nation on December 1 1867 Windsor s downtown area was devastated by yet another disastrous fire The bustling town s only fire engine a puny hand engine dependent solely on the muscle power and endurance of the volunteers who manned its long handles was simply no match for the flames that raged through building after building Goaded into action by this most recent calamity the Windsor Board of Trade met the following evening and with little discussion urgently recommended the immediate purchase of a steam fire engine City council voted the then very substantial sum of 6 000 for this purchase plus 1 000 feet of hose A Second Size steam fire engine of the latest design was ordered from the Amoskeag Mfg and Iron Works of Manchester New Hampshire Founded in 1859 Amoskeag was one of America s largest and most prominent steam fire engine builders The new fire engine arrived in Windsor on May 15 1868 and was tested and accepted by the city four

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/windsors-only-steam-fire-engine-1868-amoskeag/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Windsor's Civil Defense Pumpers - WindsorFire.com
    op Students Spring 2016 Fall 2015 Spring 2015 Fall 2014 Spring 2014 Fall 2013 Fall 2012 Spring 2012 Fall 2011 Spring 2011 Co op Photo Gallery WFRS History Apparatus Histories Fire Stations Histories Firefighting Traditions Misc History Articles Windsor s Civil Defense Pumpers in WFRS Apparatus Histories 29 Apr 2010 Training Pumper 45 1953 Marsh International A A A In the early 1950s at the height of the Cold War scare the Canadian federal and provincial Governments provided special funding to bolster the firefighting and rescue capabilities of metropolitan fire departments in the event of a nuclear attack by Russian bombers Civil Defense and Emergency Measures Organizations manned by local volunteers were formed across Canada including here in Windsor Canada s Civil Defense authorities funded the purchase of 50 special Training Pumpers which were allocated to fire departments across the country for the use of volunteer auxiliary firefighters who would be trained in their use by members of the larger fire departments Contracts for these Civil Defense Training Pumpers were awarded to two Ontario firms Bickle Seagrave Ltd of Woodstock and Marsh Pumps Canada Ltd in Stratford The 40 Bickle Seagrave pumpers with 420 Imperial gallon per minute pumps were built on Chevrolet chassis Ten slightly larger 625 gpm pumpers were built by American Marsh on International R 185 chassis All had extended seven man crew cabs Civil Defense Canada emblems on the cab doors were augmented by the Ontario Civil Defense maltese cross logo on the rear of the cab One of the 1952 Bickle Seagrave Chevrolet Training Pumpers was assigned to the Windsor Fire Department Housed at Fire Station No 2 on Richmond St at Walker Rd the pumper was used for regular weekly training sessions by the Windsor Civil Defense Corps Auxiliary Fire Service Two years later

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/windsors-civil-defense-pumpers/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive

  • From Sandwich West - WindsorFire.com
    Translated Materials Firefighters Become a Firefighter In the Line of Duty Padre s Corner Prayers Creeds Thoughts Co op Students Spring 2016 Fall 2015 Spring 2015 Fall 2014 Spring 2014 Fall 2013 Fall 2012 Spring 2012 Fall 2011 Spring 2011 Co op Photo Gallery WFRS History Apparatus Histories Fire Stations Histories Firefighting Traditions Misc History Articles From Sandwich West in WFRS Apparatus Histories 19 Mar 2010 A A A As noted in an earlier article following the January 1 1966 annexation of the former Town of Riverside and a portion of Sandwich West Township the Windsor Fire Department acquired six pieces of fire apparatus from the two suburban fire departments The three former Riverside rigs two pumpers and an aerial were covered in an earlier installment in this series While Windsor acquired all three of Riverside s rigs just three of Sandwich West s apparatus as well as the former Sandwich West Fire Hall on Third Concession Rd were added to the Windsor Fire Department roster We profiled one of these a Mercury rescue unit with locally made Welles Corp van body in an earlier piece Windsor s Other Rescue Squad The other two Sandwich West rigs were a pair of commercial chassis pumpers a 1960 King Seagrave 625 gpm pumper on Ford chassis and a 1953 Bickle Seagrave Chevrolet 420 gpm pumper Relettered as Windsor s Engine No 8 the 1960 Ford remained in the former Sandwich West hall on Third concession The 1953 Chevrolet was relettered Engine No 10 and assigned to W F D Headquarters on Pitt St E Following the opening of the new headquarters hall on Goyeau St in 1970 the 53 Ford was moved to this hall In its later years Engine 10 was used as a foam carrier its hose bed stocked with

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/from-sandwich-west/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Ford City's LaFrances - WindsorFire.com
    A A In the late summer of 1904 a bold new industrial enterprise set up shop in the former Walkerville Wagon Works factory on Riverside Drive East near Drouillard Rd The fledgling Ford Motor Company of Canada built just 117 cars in its first year But with the launch of the legendary Model T a few years later Ford was well on its way to becoming one of the world s largest and most successful automobile manufacturers During the teens and 1920s Ford of Canada erected two huge vehicle assembly and components manufacturing plants to the southeast of its original factory site With thousands of well paid Ford workers living in the area a new community Ford City soon sprang up Mail addressed to Ford of Canada from around the world was often simply addressed to Ford Ontario In the late 1920s Ford City took a new name East Windsor But this new community was short lived gobbled up as in was in the historic amalgamation of 1935 which saw the City of Windsor annex not only East Windsor but also the neighboring towns of Walkerville and Sandwich The former East Windsor Walkerville and Sandwich Fire Departments were merged into a much enlarged Windsor Fire Department Built in 1921 the two bay single story East Windsor Fire Hall was located on the east side of Drouillard Road just south of Riverside Drive behind Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Church At the time of amalgamation the largely volunteer East Windsor Fire Department had two pieces of motor fire apparatus an American LaFrance 800 gallon per minute Type 75 rotary gear pumper purchased in 1922 and a 1924 American LaFrance Type 14 city service hook and ladder truck as well as a 1920 Model T Ford Chief s Roadster The former

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/ford-citys-lafrances/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Windsor's "Other" Rescue Squad - WindsorFire.com
    WFRS History Apparatus Histories Fire Stations Histories Firefighting Traditions Misc History Articles Windsor s Other Rescue Squad in WFRS Apparatus Histories 6 Jan 2010 A A A Following the annexation by Windsor of Riverside and a portion of Sandwich West Township on January 1 1966 the Windsor Fire Department acquired half a dozen pieces of fire apparatus from the two suburban departments which were subsequently integrated into the W F D fleet The three former Riverside rigs two pumpers and an aerial were covered in an earlier installment in this series While Windsor took over all of Riverside s apparatus just three of Sandwich West s rigs were transferred to the W F D equipment roster The former Sandwich West apparatus included two commercial chassis pumpers and a van type emergency rescue unit as well as the former Sandwich West Fire Hall on the Third Concession Rd This article will focus on the rescue vehicle The pumpers will be profiled in a future submission The Sandwich West Township Fire Department covered a large suburban area southwest of Windsor In 1959 the SWFD augmented its pumper tanker fleet with a new rescue unit Built on a forward control Mercury chassis it had a large parcel delivery type van body made by the Welles Corp a school bus and truck body builder located in Windsor The Emergency Unit carried a variety of rescue and other gear responding to motor vehicle accidents as well as fires The low mileage van was only six years old when Windsor annexed a large portion of Sandwich West Township on January 1 1966 The former Sandwich West rescue unit was redesignated the W F D s Squad Car No 2 and placed in service at the new 1964 Station 4 on College Ave Two years later the

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/windsors-other-rescue-squad/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Sandwich's Gotfredson - WindsorFire.com
    op Photo Gallery WFRS History Apparatus Histories Fire Stations Histories Firefighting Traditions Misc History Articles Sandwich s Gotfredson in WFRS Apparatus Histories 11 Nov 2009 Sandwich Fire Department s 1927 Gotfredson Bickle Ladder Truck A A A In one of our very first articles in this series we chronicled the remarkable continuing history of a Gotfredson Bickle pumper delivered to the Walkerville Fire Department in 1927 Eight years later the former Town of Walkerville and the Town of Sandwich were amalgamated into the City of Windsor through annexation on July 1 1935 The Walkerville and Sandwich Fire Departments were merged into a much enlarged Windsor Fire Department The 1927 Gotfredson Bickle Engine No 1 on the Walkerville Fire Department became Engine 1A and later Engine 7 in Windsor After more than three decades of service the old Gotfredson pumper was completely rebuilt by Elcombe Engineering of Windsor in 1959 Finally retired from service in the late 1970s the Elcombe was refurbished by the Windsor Fire Department shops and kept as a parade piece Eight two years after it was delivered it s still on the road today But there was once another long forgotten Gotfredson on the W F D roster In 1927 the same year Walkerville got its Gotfredson Bickle pumper the Town of Sandwich purchased a Gotfredson Bickle city service hook and ladder truck Like Walkerville s pumper the special fire apparatus chassis for this truck was built in the the Gotfredson Corporation factory on Walker Road in Walkerville The long wheelbase ladder truck body and other firefighting equipment were fitted to this chassis by Bickle Fire Engines Ltd of Woodstock Ontario at a contract price of 4 460 less a 1 000 allowance for a Model T Ford LaFrance ladder truck traded in Following the 1935 annexation

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/sandwichs-gotfredson/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Hurricane Twins - WindsorFire.com
    E One Hurricanes A A A In 1974 retired playground equipment maker Robert Wormser constructed a light duty rescue unit in the garage of his Florida home Buoyed by its success he formed a company to make light attack type minipumpers and rescue units in a small factory in Orlando The name of this ambitious new enterprise Emergency One Emergency One achieved remarkable success simply by not building fire apparatus the way its competitors did The aggressive young company offered its customers a series of modular pumper and rescue bodies made from extruded aluminum components Built up in advance these interchangeable modules could be quickly installed on any chassis Ford Chevrolet GMC Dodge etc desired by the customer Employing these then unorthodox assembly methods and by keeping a large inventory of chassis and pumps on hand Emergency One could deliver a new pumper or rescue unit in as little as 30 to 60 days instead of the six months to a year or more needed by its older larger competitors Within a few years E One was one of the industry s largest and most successful players The company quickly expanded its popular product line to also include aerial ladder trucks and big airport crash trucks In 1984 the company introduced its own custom fire apparatus chassis the Hurricane which was soon followed by the rear engined Hush and tilt cab Cyclone In 1992 E One entered the attractive Canadian fire apparatus market with its purchase of Superior Emergency Equipment of Red Deer Alberta which it later renamed E One Canada Soon the oval E One nameplate could be found on pumpers and aerials in fire halls across the nation As part of its ongoing apparatus replacement and upgrade program the Windsor Fire Rescue Services purchased a pair of E

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/the-hurricane-twins/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Windsor's Pumpers: Engine No. 9 From Riverside - WindsorFire.com
    Aug 2009 A A A With the annexation of the former Town of Riverside on January 1 1966 the Windsor Fire Department acquired three pieces of apparatus a two year old LaFrance Mercury 100 foot quint with 840 gpm pump a 1956 LaFrance 700 Series pumper and a 1938 Bickle Seagrave Ford used primarily as a parade piece The LaFrance Quint and the 38 Ford were profiled in earlier submissions This one will cover the 56 LaFrance In May of 1955 Riverside Fire Chief Kenneth Friest received approval from Riverside Town Council to purchase a new pumper to replace the town s only fire engine the 17 year old Ford in service since 1938 The tender was awarded to LaFrance Fire Engine Foamite Ltd of Toronto at a contract price of 27 635 The shiny new American LaFrance 700 Series pumper with five man canopy style closed cab was delivered to the then new Riverside Fire Hall on Lauzon Rd on February 29 1956 Powered by a 215 horsepower V 12 engine the sleek cab forward Model 710 PJC Spartan 840 gallon per minute pumper bearing factory serial L 5323 was equipped with a 400 gallon booster tank and dual booster hose reels with electric rewind Unlike standard 700 Series pumpers however Riverside s new Pumper No 2 carried one length of suction hose and metal ground ladders on each side of the apparatus In 1960 the hard suctions were moved to a new position above the ground ladders In 1964 Riverside purchased a LaFrance Mercury 100 foot quintuple combination pumper and aerial ladder truck the town s first and only aerial truck But Pumper No 2 the 1956 LaFrance was still the R F D s first out pumper With the annexation of Riverside on the first day of

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/windsors-pumpers-engine-no-9-from-riverside/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive



  •