archive-com.com » COM » W » WINDSORFIRE.COM

Total: 394

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • 1938 Bickle/Ford Parade Rig - WindsorFire.com
    2014 Fall 2013 Fall 2012 Spring 2012 Fall 2011 Spring 2011 Co op Photo Gallery WFRS History Apparatus Histories Fire Stations Histories Firefighting Traditions Misc History Articles 1938 Bickle Ford Parade Rig in WFRS Apparatus Histories 10 Jul 2009 Factory photo of Riverside s 1938 Bickle Ford pumper Riverside Pumper 1 late in its fire service career After restoration by Windsor Fire Department shops A A A With the January 1 1966 annexation by the City of Windsor of the former Town of Riverside and portions of Sandwich East and Sandwich West Townships the Windsor Fire Department acquired seven pieces of apparatus formerly owned by these suburban mostly volunteer fire departments The oldest of these was acquisitions was a 1938 Ford pumper then still in reserve service on the former Riverside Fire Department Built by Bickle Seagrave Ltd of Woodstock Ontario on a Ford two ton truck chassis with a 420 gallon per minute Bickle rotary gear pump behind its closed two man cab the new pumper replaced a Model T Ford fire truck Riverside had purchased in the early 1920s Housed in a single bay firehall in the Riverside Town Hall on Lauzon Road near Riverside Dr E the Bickle Ford was Riverside s only fire engine until a new American LaFrance pumper was delivered in early 1956 Loaded down with extra equipment including an overhead ladder rack and a booster water tank above its hose bed old Pumper No 1 continued to answer calls as the town s second out pumper By the mid 1960s however the 38 Ford was used primarily as a parade and special events rig Following the 1966 annexation the newly enlarged Windsor Fire Department relettered the 28 year old pumper Engine No 11 During grass fire season the vintage Ford was actually placed

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/1938-bickleford-parade-rig/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Windsor's Pumpers: The Seagrave Twins - WindsorFire.com
    raised Seagrave built by the local W E Seagrave Co in Walkerville Four years later in 1914 W E Seagrave built Windsor s very first motor driven pumper The Windsor Fire Department acquired four Canadian built Bickle Seagraves three pumpers and an aerial ladder truck in the early 1950s Founded in Detroit in 1881 The Seagrave Company relocated to Columbus Ohio in 1892 Eight years later in 1900 Seagrave founder Frederic S Seagrave decided to form a Canadian subsidiary company Run by his son Warren Edmund Seagrave the W E Seagrave Fire Apparatus Co delivered horse drawn and later motor driven fire apparatus to fire departments all over Canada from Victoria to Quebec City before the company went out of business in about 1918 Sadly the former W E Seagrave factory on the west side of Walker Road near Niagara St was torn down two years ago And for reasons still not altogether clear Seagrave Corporation founder Frederic S Seagrave who died in 1923 is buried in Windsor Grove Cemetery on Giles Blvd at Howard Avenue Warren E Seagrave died in 1953 and is buried in Port Huron Michigan In the mid 1930s Bickle Fire Engines Ltd of Woodstock Ontario entered into an arrangement with the Seagrave Corporation under which Bickle would build Seagrave motor fire apparatus under licence for the Canadian market The Windsor Fire Department purchased a Bickle Seagrave V 12 pumper in 1950 another pumper and a 75 foot service aerial in 1952 and yet another Bickle Seagrave pumper in 1953 When the last of these rigs were retired from active service in the late 1970s and early 80s the revered Seagrave name disappeared from the W F D roster By the late 1980s Windsor s pumper fleet was rapidly aging and at least two new pumpers were urgently needed In 1990 the North American Free Trade Act had been enacted and Canadian fire departments could now purchase fire apparatus directly from manufacturers in the United States free of customs tariffs and duties So it was that after much study the Windsor Fire Department s Chief of Apparatus Melchoir Mike Koehl recommended the purchase of two Seagrave Model JB 40 DB custom chassis pumpers from Seagrave Fire Apparatus of Clintonville Wisconsin at a contract price of 242 563 each Following the usual pre delivery inspection trip to the U S factory as the pumper neared completion the first of the two pumpers was delivered to Windsor in mid 1990 Lettered Engine No 2 the lime green 1050 Imperial gallon per minute pumper with four door sedan type cab and 400 gallon water tank was placed into service at Station 2 on Richmond St at Walker Road A second identical pumper was delivered the following year Lettered Engine No 10 it was placed into front line service at WFRS Station 1 on Goyeau St But Engine 2 had a tragically short service life In September 1995 barely five years after it was delivered the 1990 Seagrave was heavily

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/windsors-pumpers-the-seagrave-twins/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Windsor's Pumpers: The First Spartans - WindsorFire.com
    truck manufacturing firm in Lansing Michigan organized a new company in nearby Charlotte to make custom cab forward fire truck chassis for independent fire apparatus manufacturers Spartan Motors went on to quickly become one of the industry s most remarkable success stories Today nearly three decades later Spartan remains the world s largest supplier of fire apparatus motor home and other specialty vehicle chassis Among Spartan s early customers were two Canadian fire truck builders Pierre Thibault Ltd and Pierreville Fire Trucks both located in the same small town of Pierreville near Sorel Quebec The Windsor Fire Department took delivery of its first Spartan chassised fire apparatus a Thibault Spartan 100 foot aerial ladder truck in 1981 A year later the city received a nearly identical aerial also on canopy cab Spartan Monarch chassis this one built by rival Pierreville Fire Trucks Over the years Windsor has purchased more than a dozen rigs bearing the familiar Spartan diamond logo In late 1981 Windsor ordered two new pumpers on Spartan four door chassis the W F D s first sedan cab apparatus from King Seagrave Ltd of Woodstock Ontario Before the chassis could be delivered however King Seagrave filed for bankruptcy One of the completed chassis painted lime yellow and already lettered W F D Engine No 7 was displayed at the 1982 Canadian Association of Fire Chiefs annual convention in Winnipeg Following the convention the two bare chassis cabs were delivered to Windsor and stored at the W F D headquarters station on Goyeau St A new contract to build the pumpers was subsequently awarded to Pierreville Fire Trucks and the Diesel powered chassis were driven to Pierreville Quebec in October 1982 The completed pumpers with 1050 gallon per minute pumps and 400 gallon booster tanks were delivered back to

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/windsors-pumpers-the-first-spartans/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Windsor's Second Snorkel: Aerial Tower No.2 - WindsorFire.com
    Aerial Tower No 2 1982 Duke Ford Hi Ranger 85 left side view Relettered as Aerial Tower No 1 right side view In action at three alarm fire Sandwich and Mills Streets A A A Introduced in Chicago in 1958 the elevating platform or Snorkel revolutionized aerial firefighting in North America The Windsor Fire Department received its first elevating platform in October 1971 Aerial Tower No 1 was profiled in an earlier article in this series After nearly a decade of service Aerial Tower 1 had more than proved its effectiveness and versatility at any number of major fires and rescues So in the early 1980s when it came time for the W F D to order another new aerial device the decision was unanimous another aerial platform Not surprisingly the contract for the new tower was awarded to the same company that had built and delivered Windsor s first Snorkel in 1971 Duke Equipment Ltd of Burlington Ontario Like the earlier delivery the new aerial tower was built on a diesel powered Ford C 900 tilt cab chassis with tandem rear axles and Hi Ranger 85 foot articulating boom made by Mobile Aerial Towers of Fort Wayne Indiana But whereas Windsor s first Snorkel had a three man closed cab the new tower had an extended canopy style cab with rear facing crew seat And where the 1971 tower was originally painted red the new tower was painted a bright lime yellow Lettered Aerial Tower No 2 the new elevating platform was delivered to the Windsor Fire Department shops in the early spring of 1982 Following several months of testing outfitting and crew training Aerial Tower No 2 was placed into service at the Windsor Fire Department headquarters station on Goyeau Street in June 1982 The truck it replaced

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/windsors-second-snorkel-aerial-tower-no-2/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Windsor's Pumpers: The Pierreville Four - WindsorFire.com
    two new pumpers in the early 1970s the rest of the city s pumper fleet was rapidly becoming antiquated An American LaFrance pumper delivered in 1948 and three Bickle Seagrave pumpers purchased in the early 1950s were wearing out and in urgent need of replacement Instead of replacing them one at a time out of the department s annual apparatus budget a process that would take at least four years in 1974 Fire Chief Jack Malott and Chief of Apparatus Melchior Mike Koehl made a convincing case to City Council for replacing the outdated apparatus all at once In June 1975 the Windsor Fire Department placed what was up to then the largest single order for new fire apparatus in the department s history The 250 000 contract for four new diesel pumping engines was awarded to Pierreville Fire Trucks of Pierreville Quebec Painted lime yellow the new pumpers were built on tilt cab Ford C900 chassis with extended canopy cabs Powered by Detroit Diesel 6V71 engines with automatic transmissions they were equipped with 1 050 Imperial gallon per minute Waterous CMBX pumps and had 385 gallon booster tanks with two pre connected 1 1 2 attack lines transversely mounted above the pump panel The first two of the new pumpers Engines 5 and 8 were delivered to the W F D shops on Richmond St next door to Station 2 on May 14 1977 The second pair Engines 3 and 4 arrived on July 18 After several weeks of testing outfitting and driver and crew training the new pumpers were gradually placed into service one at a time By the end of September all were on line Engine 3 went into service as the first out engine at Headquarters Station 1 on Goyeau St Engine 4 was assigned to Station 4 on college Ave Engine 5 entered service at Station 5 on Cabana Rd W while Engine 8 went to Station 6 on Tecumseh Rd E But before they went into service Engine 3 was used as a caisson at the funeral of longtime W F D Signals Division member Mark Learmonth With the delivery of two more new pumpers in 1983 Engine 5 was reassigned to Station 2 on Walker Rd and Engine 4 moved to Station 5 Engine 3 went to Station 3 on Ouellette Avenue Over the years the numbers on their cab doors constantly changed as they were reassigned to various fireballs The Pierreville Fords served the citizens of Windsor well for more than two decades There were few fires in the city at which at least one of these familiar lime yellow rigs wasn t present As many as three of them could be found at major fires Most of the members of today s Windsor Fire Rescue Service probably trained or worked on one of these sturdy pumpers By the mid 1990s two of the 1977 Pierreville Ford pumpers were being used as spares Although the WFRS had since switched back to the

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/windsors-pumpers-the-pierreville-four/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive

  • 1974 King/Ford: The Greening Of The W.F.D. - WindsorFire.com
    N Y became the driving force behind a nation wide switch from red to lime green or lime yellow fire apparatus sparking what was perhaps the most heated controversy in the North American fire service since the motor pumper replaced the horse drawn steamer The Windsor Fire Department clambered aboard the lime yellow bandwagon in 1974 In May of 1973 the W F D had ordered a new pumper from King Seagrave Ltd of Woodstock Ontario The original contract specified that the 1050 gpm pumper on Ford C 9000 chassis be painted the traditional fire department red But before the completed pumper went into the paint booth Chief of Apparatus Mike Koehl had the color changed from red to the trendy new lime yellow Fire Chief Harold Coxon very much aware of the ongoing controversy said he was willing to try anything that might make the already dangerous job of firefighting safer for his men Thus it was that the W F D took delivery of its first lime yellow fire engine in early November 1974 More than a dozen more lime yellow pumpers aerial trucks and rescue squads would eventually follow the 74 Ford onto the W F D roster over the next twelve years Purchased at a contract price of 43 635 and powered by a Detroit Diesel engine with Hale QLF pump and 380 gallon water tank the new canopy cab pumper was also the first piece of apparatus on the Windsor Fire Department with an automatic transmission Lettered Engine No 6 on its cab doors the bright yellow pumper was officially placed into service at the W F D s Headquarters Fire Station on Goyeau St on December 19 1974 Three years later the King Ford was displaced as the first out engine at headquarters by

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/1974-kingford-the-greening-of-the-w-f-d/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive

  • First Of The Fords: Engine No. 10 - WindsorFire.com
    in WFRS Apparatus Histories 31 Oct 2008 A A A In 1957 the Ford Motor Company introduced a new line of medium heavy duty trucks called the C Series The new C Series Ford s rectangular flat faced cab tilted forward for unhindered access to the engine Designed primarily for the city delivery market the C Series Ford proved very popular as a municipal service vehicle for refuse trucks cherry pickers and various other municipal duties including firefighting With its huge windshield compact bumper to back of cab dimensions and wide range of GVW wheelbases axle and engine choices the Ford C became the commercial chassis of choice for North Amercan fire departments Over the next 33 years before the last one rolled off Ford s heavy truck assembly line in 1990 thousands of Ford C Series fire trucks ranging from small rural pumpers and tasnkers on up to big aerial ladder trucks and elevating platforms were delivered to fire departments across the U S and Canada The Windsor Fire Department ultimately acquired no fewer than eleven Ford C Series rigs including six pumpers two aerial towers two heavy rescue squads and one quintuple combination aerial ladder truck or quint The W F D s first Ford C was an 85 elevating platform the department s first Diesel powered fire apparatus delivered in 1971 The next was a 1 050 gpm pumper ordered in late March 1972 from Pierreville fire Trucks in Pierreville Quebec at a contract price was 36 500 less a 1 500 allowance on an ex Sandwich West Township 1953 Bickle Seagrave Chevrolet pumper traded in The C 900 pumper with extended canopy style cab was powered by a Detroit Diesel 6V 71N engine teamed with a Waterous CMBX pump with electric primer and a 327 gallon water booster tank Lettered Engine No 10 the new pumper was delivered to Windsor on January 20 1973 two days after it had passed its Underwriters pump test at the Pierreville plant After its acceptance test at the Ford dock on January 25 and several weeks of crew training the new Engine No 10 was placed into service at Station 1 on Goyeau St on February 19 1973 With the delivery of another Ford C Series pumper three years later Engine 10 was transferred to Station 2 on Walker Rd where it ran for many years In 1983 Engine 10 was repainted from its original red to lime yellow Engine 10 later saw service at Station 3 before being placed into reserve service as a spare pumper It was in this role as a spare that Engine 10 was running out of Station 4 on College St when it met its untimely end on a summer afternoon in 1989 Responding to an alarm during a heavy rainstorm Engine 10 skidded off Sunset Ave at a curve in the road near the Ambassador Bridge and slammed into a tree Several crew members were injured none seriously but the 17 year old

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/first-of-the-fords-engine-no-10/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Windsor's Pumpers: The Mack E-2 - WindsorFire.com
    in WFRS Apparatus Histories 17 Sep 2008 Chief Harold Coxon poses with the brand new 1965 Mack and old Engine 2 The 1965 Mack pumper at former WFD Headquarters station located at Pitt Street E Repainted lime yellow here s how Engine 2 looked late in its career A A A For most of the past century the big three of the U S and Canadian fire apparatus industry were American LaFrance Seagrave and Mack Mack was unique among North American heavy truck manufacturers in that this fabled company was the only commercial truck maker that also made fire engines Founded in 1900 Mack entered the fire apparatus business with its legendary Model AC Bulldog just after the First World War In the 1920s Mack introduced a special six cylinder fire apparatus chassis and a tractor trailer aerial ladder truck with engine driven hoist Mack s Canadian subsidiary company did not enter the Canadian fire apparatus market until after the Second World War A relatively small number of Mack L Series and B Series pumpers and ladder trucks were delivered to Canadian fire departments between 1947 and 1957 It wasn t until the arrival of Mack s new custom cab forward C Series in 1958 that Mack became a major player in the Canadian fire truck industry Montreal Toronto Winnipeg Edmonton and Ottawa ordered sizeable numbers of Mack C Series pumpers and aerial ladder trucks through the 1960s The Windsor Fire Department purchased just one Mack a custom chassis Model C 125F 1 050 gallon per minute pumper delivered in the summer of 1965 Built in the Mack Trucks of Canada Ltd plant in Toronto at a contract price of 26 041 the canopy cab pumper was delivered to the Windsor shops on Sunday afternoon August 9 1965 Behind the wheel was well known Mack delivery engineer Gaston Tremblay who conducted the underwriters acceptance test of the new pumper two days later one day after Harold Coxon succeeded Raymond May as Chief of the Windsor Fire Department Powered by a six cylinder Mack Thermodyne engine the handsome canopy cab pumper with 250 gallon booster tank replaced an ex Walkerville 1929 Bickle pumper which was then dismantled and scrapped Lettered Engine No 2 on its cab doors the new pumper was placed in service at the Windsor Fire Department Headquarters station at 254 Pitt St E on August 27 Five years later Engine 2 Engine 1 and Aerial No 1A moved into the impressive new W F D headquarters station on Goyeau Street The Mack remained the front engine there until early 1973 when it was displaced by a new Pierreville Ford pumper and reassigned as the second out or back engine With the delivery of four new Pierreville Ford pumpers in 1977 Engine No 2 was transferred to Station 3 on Ouellette Ave at Edinburgh St When two more new pumpers were placed in service in 1983 Engine 2 became a spare pumper filling in for other engines as needed

    Original URL path: http://www.windsorfire.com/windsors-pumpers-the-mack-e-2/ (2016-04-24)
    Open archived version from archive