archive-com.com » COM » W » WXERFM.COM

Total: 375

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Detroit schools can't meet payroll after June 30 - News - 104.5 & 96.1 The Point Sheboygan's Hit Music
    run out of money to pay employees after the fiscal year wraps up on June 30 the schools emergency manager said on Saturday Steven Rhodes a former federal bankruptcy judge said that 48 7 million in supplemental funding approved by the Michigan legislature last month would allow paychecks for all employees only through the end of June He urged state lawmakers to approve a 715 million rescue plan that would create a new Detroit Education Commission with broad authority to control new school openings for the next five years Without passage of the reform package there will be no funds available to pay any of our employees those teachers on a 26 pay cycle included Rhodes who began running the district in March said in an emailed statement There also will be no funds available for the District to conduct Summer School or provide the year round special education services that a number of our students rely on Rhodes s statement was first reported by the Detroit News It said word of Rhodes s warning had come from Ivy Bailey interim president of the Detroit Federation of Teachers Rhodes had told her earlier in the day about the inability to meet payroll after June Bailey told union members in an email that she was outraged about the news the newspaper said When Judge Steven Rhodes informed me of this today I insisted that we meet on Monday with DPS leadership and financial officials to develop a solution to this problem Bailey wrote the Detroit News reported The Detroit public school system is the largest in Michigan with 45 786 students and has been under state control since 2009 Rhodes said this month that nearly 64 million in debt payments were sinking the school district underscoring the need for a long

    Original URL path: http://wxerfm.com/news/articles/2016/may/01/detroit-schools-cant-meet-payroll-after-june-30/ (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Daniel Berrigan, U.S. anti-war priest and poet, dies at 94 - News - 104.5 & 96.1 The Point Sheboygan's Hit Music
    Murray Weigel Jesuit Community in New York s Bronx borough America magazine said It did not give a cause of death A passionate critic of U S involvement in Vietnam Berrigan gained worldwide attention in 1968 when he his younger brother Philip who was a Josephite priest and seven other Catholics seized draft records from a Selective Service Office in Catonsville Maryland The group doused the files with homemade napalm in a parking lot outside the draft office and torched them while joining hands in prayer It was Philip who came up with the idea Berrigan told America in 2009 In the library of Georgetown University in Washington a friend found a copy of the Green Beret manual with instructions for making napalm from soap chips and gasoline he said The Berrigans were convicted in a federal trial and released on their own recognizance in 1970 They then went into hiding and refused to show up for jail Berrigan was arrested by FBI agents and sent to federal prison He was released in 1972 Asked by America if he had any regrets Berrigan said I could have done sooner the things I did like Catonsville In 1980 the Berrigans and six others broke into a General Electric nuclear missile site in Pennsylvania and damaged warhead nose cones and poured blood onto documents and files Berrigan also protested the Gulf War the Kosovo War the U S invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq and abortion At 92 he took part in the Occupy Wall Street movement in New York s Zuccotti Park Jesuits Magazine said Berrigan was born into a German Irish Catholic family in Virginia Minnesota He joined the Jesuit order in 1939 and was ordained a priest in 1952 He wrote more than 50 books and his first volume of

    Original URL path: http://wxerfm.com/news/articles/2016/may/01/daniel-berrigan-us-anti-war-priest-and-poet-dies-at-94/ (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Obama torches Trump at his final Washington correspondents' dinner - News - 104.5 & 96.1 The Point Sheboygan's Hit Music
    from Capitol Hill and beyond They say Donald lacks the foreign policy experience to be president But in fairness he has spent years meeting with leaders from around the world Miss Sweden Miss Argentina Miss Azerbaijan the president said to howls of laughter referring to contestants on the Miss Universe pageant that Trump formerly co owned Obama made fun of the angst many in the Republican establishment have expressed at the prospect that Trump or Tea Party candidate Ted Cruz could win the party s nomination to run in the Nov 8 presidential election Guests were asked to check whether they wanted steak or fish but instead a whole bunch of you wrote in Paul Ryan Obama said referring to the top Republican in the House of Representatives who many have hoped could be lured into running for president That s not an option people Obama said displaying comedic chops perfected through seven previous appearances at the annual dinner You may not like steak or fish but that s your choice In his remarks Obama looked back on his presidency and jokingly predicted the country may be nearing its doom The end of the republic has never looked better the tuxedo clad president said looking out at the well groomed crowd as he blasted Republican Party Chairman Reince Priebus Congratulations on all your success Obama told Priebus while wearing a sarcastic grin The Republican party the nomination process it s all going great Larry Wilmore the host of a show on cable outlet Comedy Central took his own shots at Trump when he took the podium after Obama joking that next year the dinner will be called Donald Trump presents a luxurious evening paid for by Mexico Trump has famously promised to build a wall between the United States and

    Original URL path: http://wxerfm.com/news/articles/2016/apr/30/obama-takes-final-bow-at-star-studded-washington-dinner/ (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Six killed in Texas floods as severe weather lashes central U.S. - News - 104.5 & 96.1 The Point Sheboygan's Hit Music
    S states officials said on Saturday The woman and her grandchildren died in Palestine Texas 100 miles 160 km southeast of Dallas after escaping a house where flood waters had reached the roof line They were then swept away Palestine police Captain James Muniz said They were able to get out but they were washed away he said adding their bodies were recovered on Saturday Those killed were identified as Jamonicka Johnson 6 Von Johnson Jr 7 Devonte Asberry 8 Venetia Asberry 9 and Lenda Asberry 64 the city said Palestine police took the bodies to Tyler Texas for autopsies officials said A Palestine man Giovani Olivas 30 was swept under flood waters around Anderson County Road 370 His body was found late Saturday afternoon according to Anderson County Sheriff Greg Taylor Seven homes were evacuated and temporary shelters were established officials said The city received 7 5 inches 19 cm of rain in less than an hour which caused the floods I don t recall ever seeing this much water rise so fast and in such a short period of time Palestine Mayor Bob Herrington said in a statement where he also offered condolences to the family of the five victims The National Weather Service issued a flash flood watch extending from east Texas into much of Mississippi and a severe thunderstorm watch for New Orleans and the southern Louisiana region Strong to severe thunderstorms are expected today into this evening across the lower Mississippi Valley Tennessee Valley Ozarks and the Ohio Valley it said Strong winds in the Houston area downed trees and cut power lines the service said As of 10 30 a m local time more than 4 200 customers in the region were without power CenterPoint Energy reported There were seven reported tornadoes from the

    Original URL path: http://wxerfm.com/news/articles/2016/apr/30/five-killed-in-texas-floods-as-severe-weather-lashes-central-us/ (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive

  • U.S. West Point academy set for first woman dean in two century history - News - 104.5 & 96.1 The Point Sheboygan's Hit Music
    Point academy set for first woman dean in two century history Saturday April 30 2016 8 55 a m CDT Reuters The United States Military Academy is poised to have its first woman dean in its 216 year history after President Barack Obama nominated to the post a West Point graduate who currently leads the school s Department of Social Sciences Colonel Cindy Jebb who holds a Ph D in political science from Duke University needs confirmation from the U S Senate to take on the post If approved she would be promoted to brigadier general and serve as West Point s dean of the Academic Board the U S Military Academy said in a statement on Friday She s revered amongst the faculty and cadets and we re lucky to have her West Point superintendent Lieutenant General Robert Caslen said in the statement The military academy in New York state was founded in 1802 and its graduates typically serve as Army officers It accepted its first female cadets in 1976 In January the academy swore in it first female commandant of cadets Reporting by Jon Herskovitz in Austin Texas editing by Susan Thomas Comments Top Stories Help Fight Cancer

    Original URL path: http://wxerfm.com/news/articles/2016/apr/30/us-west-point-academy-set-for-first-woman-dean-in-two-century-history/ (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive

  • World News - 104.5 & 96.1 The Point Sheboygan's Hit Music
    trains fishing militia to sail into disputed waters Saturday April 30 By Megha Rajagopalan BAIMAJING China Reuters The fishing fleet based in this tiny port town on Hainan island is getting everything f Facing long odds in California Cruz courts state s Republicans Saturday April 30 By Sharon Bernstein BURLINGAME Calif Reuters U S presidential candidate Ted Cruz made a plea to the California Republican Party on Saudi hands over Houthi prisoners as Yemen peace efforts inch ahead spokesman Saturday April 30 DOHA Reuters Yemen s Houthi movement said on Saturday its foe Saudi Arabia had handed over 40 prisoners as part of an agreement to qu Obama torches Trump at his final Washington correspondents dinner Saturday April 30 By Megan Cassella WASHINGTON Reuters U S President Barack Obama on Saturday took aim at Democrats and Republicans alike in his final Buffett says Berkshire fine with Trump or Clinton Saturday April 30 By Jonathan Stempel and Trevor Hunnicutt OMAHA Neb Reuters Warren Buffett said on Saturday that Berkshire Hathaway Inc is poised to Six killed in Texas floods as severe weather lashes central U S Saturday April 30 By Jon Herskovitz AUSTIN Texas Reuters A grandmother and four of her grandchildren were killed and another person also died in flood Aleppo bombed as Syrian army begins calm plan elsewhere Saturday April 30 By John Davison BEIRUT Reuters Nearly 30 air strikes hit rebel held areas of Aleppo on Saturday as a temporary calm declared by Syr Sadr followers dig in inside Baghdad s Green Zone political crisis deepens Saturday April 30 By Stephen Kalin and Ahmed Rasheed BAGHDAD Reuters Hundreds of supporters of Shi ite Muslim cleric Moqtada al Sadr stormed parliament Air strikes pound rebel held areas of Aleppo Syrian Observatory Saturday April 30 BEIRUT Reuters At least 20

    Original URL path: http://wxerfm.com/news/sections/world/ (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive

  • EU set to drive forward visas for Turks in migrant deal - News - 104.5 & 96.1 The Point Sheboygan's Hit Music
    EU manner the Commission will present a package aimed at offering something for everyone AEGEAN ROUTE SHUT Determined action by Turkey in concert with Greece and NATO and the closing of borders across the Balkans has all but shut the main Aegean route for people fleeing war and poverty in Syria and elsewhere in the Middle East and Asia Figures delivered daily at 6 a m to European Commission President Jean Claude Juncker show new arrivals on the Greek islands were down to 63 last Thursday from an average 10 000 a day at the peak last October Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has warned that Ankara would stop implementing its side of the bargain to take back all those who reach Greece from its shores if Europe does not deliver on what he calls its commitment EU officials insist the union made no promise and the offer applies only if Turkey meets 72 legal and technical conditions The Commission reported this month that Ukraine and Georgia had met those benchmarks and will add Kosovo on Wednesday Turkey is the most sensitive because it has the biggest population with 79 million and due to its flawed record on civil and minority rights freedom of expression and the rule of law Turkish officials warn against any anti Muslim discrimination This is a great opportunity for Europe to show it is a reliable partner and make it clear that they don t apply double standards when it comes to predominantly Muslim European nations such as Turkey a government official in Ankara said NO DISCOUNT Sceptics in the European Parliament and key member states such as France Germany and the Netherlands where there is substantial public opposition to opening borders to more Turks insist they will examine Turkey s compliance with a microscope There will be no refugee discount said Manfred Weber leader of the center right group in the European Parliament from German Chancellor Angela Merkel s Bavarian sister party We ll look cool headedly in parliament at whether Turkey has fulfilled the conditions for visa liberalization Officials and diplomats say there is huge pressure to push visa liberalization through notably from Germany which was the main destination for about a million refugees and migrants who entered the EU last year and would be among the first to suffer if the accord with Turkey broke down Among the trickiest conditions is non discriminatory access to Turkey for citizens of all EU member states which includes Cyprus which Ankara does not officially recognize A senior EU diplomat belittled any suspense around the conditions saying This is just a joke We have already made the decision To make acceptance more politically palatable Germany and France this week proposed tougher safeguards to allow any EU state to suspend visa free travel from any country for six months in case of a sudden increase in asylum requests overstays or readmission refusals Turkish EU ambassador Selim Yenel told Reuters his country could live with that provided Turkey

    Original URL path: http://wxerfm.com/news/articles/2016/may/01/eu-set-to-drive-forward-visas-for-turks-in-migrant-deal/ (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Yemen's Houthis seize military base, endangering peace talks - News - 104.5 & 96.1 The Point Sheboygan's Hit Music
    Houthi movement and its armed allies seized a military base north of the capital Sanaa on Sunday dealing a setback to a shaky ceasefire and peace talks in Kuwait aimed at ending a year long war Unlike most of Yemen s soldiers those at the Umaliqa base had refused to take sides in the civil war between the Iran allied Houthis and the government which escalated when a military coalition led by Saudi Arabia intervened in March last year The Houthis had tolerated the neutrality until launching a surprise push into the facility in Amran province and seizing its large cache of weapons at dawn according to local officials Several of the soldiers defending the base were killed during the assault they added Abdel Malek al Mekhlafi Yemen s foreign minister and the government s top delegate to U N backed negotiations with the Houthis in Kuwait said the move had torpedoed the talks We will take the appropriate position in response to the Houthi crime at the Umaliqa base in Amran for the sake of our people and country he wrote on his official Twitter account Buttressed by a truce which had been largely holding since April 10 talks in Kuwait had been inching ahead in recent days and the Houthis said Saudi Arabia released 40 Yemeni prisoners it had been holding on Saturday For its part Yemen s Houthi run state news agency Saba accused the mostly Gulf Arab coalition and Yemeni government forces of violating the truce 4 000 times saying shelling bombing raids and warplane overflights had raised tensions The war has killed at least 6 200 people and unleashed a humanitarian crisis in the already impoverished country Yemen s army has split and military bases and commanders have mostly either taken the Houthi or government

    Original URL path: http://wxerfm.com/news/articles/2016/may/01/yemens-houthis-seize-military-base-endangering-peace-talks/ (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive



  •