archive-com.com » COM » W » WXERFM.COM

Total: 375

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Simulating Mars exploration, British astronaut guides rover from space - News - 104.5 & 96.1 The Point Sheboygan's Hit Music
    58AM The Sweet Escape by Gwen Stefani 4 55AM Locked Out of Heaven by Bruno Mars 4 51AM Torches by Daughtry News Simulating Mars exploration Bri Simulating Mars exploration British astronaut guides rover from space Friday April 29 2016 11 11 a m CDT LONDON Reuters British astronaut Tim Peake drove a rover on Mars on Friday or at least pretended to by test driving the exploration vehicle on earth remotely from space From the International Space Station ISS some 250 miles above earth the European Space Agency astronaut guided rover prototype Bridget around a cave set up in an area simulating Mars s sandy and rocky surface in Stevenage England The experiment was part of the Multi Purpose End To End Robotic Operation Network METERON program looking at how astronauts can work robots from space Last year Danish astronaut Andreas Mogensen guided from the ISS a rover on earth to insert a peg into a hole For Friday s mission at the Mars Yard Test Area Peake was told just before the experiment that he would have to enter the cave and find painted targets before exiting it in 90 minutes He had to ensure Bridget came within two meters of each target centered it mapped it and alerted ground control We re inside the cave and the first target has been identified Peake could be heard telling mission control in Germany during the experiment which was live streamed Delays between instruction and execution were expected as were breaks in transmission Writing by Marie Louise Gumuchian editing by Ed Osmond Comments Top Stories Help Fight Cancer At Relay For Hope At Sheboygan South High Saturday April 30 Sheboygan Man Pleads Not Guilty To Sexual Assault Charges Saturday April 30 Accused Drunken Moped Driver Headed To Trial Saturday April 30

    Original URL path: http://wxerfm.com/news/articles/2016/apr/29/simulating-mars-exploration-british-astronaut-guides-rover-from-space/ (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Repairs to keep ULA rocket grounded until summer, company says - News - 104.5 & 96.1 The Point Sheboygan's Hit Music
    Alliance s workhorse Atlas 5 rocket will remain grounded until this summer while engineers fix a problem that triggered an early engine shutdown during its last flight the space venture said on Friday The Atlas 5 rocket that blasted off from Florida s Cape Canaveral Air Force Station on March 22 successfully delivered an Orbital ATK cargo ship to the International Space Station for NASA But its Russian made RD 180 engine shut down 5 5 seconds early The rocket s second stage engine compensated for the shortfall saving the mission United Launch Alliance or ULA is a partnership of Lockheed Martin Corp and Boeing Co Engineers have traced the problem to a fuel control valve in the RD 180 engine that reduced the amount of kerosene delivered during the boost phase of the flight ULA said in a statement The ULA engineering team has reviewed the data and has determined an anomaly with the RD 180 Mixture Ratio Control Valve MRCV assembly In addition to analysis and testing all RD 180 engines are being inspected the company said The work will keep the company s next launch of a military communications satellite MUOS 5 which had been slated for May 5 grounded until early summer ULA said A new launch date was still pending it added ULA said new launch dates for the rest of its scheduled Atlas 5 missions this year are being coordinated with their customers All missions manifested for 2016 are expected to be successfully executed by the end of the year ULA said On Wednesday ULA lost its decade long monopoly on launching U S military and national security payloads when Elon Musk s Space Exploration Technologies or SpaceX was awarded an 83 million launch contract to launch a Global Positioning System satellite for the

    Original URL path: http://wxerfm.com/news/articles/2016/apr/29/repairs-to-keep-ula-rocket-grounded-until-summer-company-says/ (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive

  • China aims for manned moon landing by 2036 - News - 104.5 & 96.1 The Point Sheboygan's Hit Music
    and in late 2013 completed the first lunar soft landing since 1976 with the Chang e 3 craft and its Jade Rabbit rover The country also plans to land the first probe ever on the dark side of the moon in 2018 another milestone China must raise its abilities and use the next 15 to 20 years to realize manned lunar exploration goals and take a firm step for the Chinese people in breaking ground in the utilization of space Lieutenant General Zhang Yulin deputy commander of the China Manned Space Program said Zhang made the comments in statement posted to the program s website on Thursday The official China Daily newspaper said the announcement marked the country s first confirmation of a manned lunar exploration program The paper cited experts saying China needed first to develop a powerful enough rocket to lift a payload of at least 100 metric tons into low Earth orbit It also needs more advanced technology including new space suits for a lunar mission Advancing China s space program is a priority for Beijing with President Xi Jinping calling for the country to establish itself as a space power China insists its program is for peaceful purposes but the U S Defense Department has highlighted China s increasing space capabilities saying it is pursuing activities aimed to prevent adversaries from using space based assets in a crisis Apart from its civilian ambitions Beijing has tested anti satellite missiles and the U S Congress has banned NASA from engaging in cooperation with its Chinese counterpart due to security concerns China s space budget is still only about one tenth of the United States outlays officials have said According to Chinese state media China spends about 2 billion a year on its space program though details are

    Original URL path: http://wxerfm.com/news/articles/2016/apr/29/china-aims-for-manned-moon-landing-by-2036/ (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Technology News - 104.5 & 96.1 The Point Sheboygan's Hit Music
    in missing Florida teens case to be reviewed by Apple Friday April 29 By Karen Brooks Reuters A recovered cellphone at the center of a dispute between the families of two Florida teens who went missing d Google Fiat Chrysler working on self driving car deal sources Friday April 29 By Bernie Woodall DETROIT Reuters Google and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV are close to agreeing on a partnership that could break bou Exclusive Yahoo s bidder shortlist points to cash deal sources Friday April 29 By Greg Roumeliotis and Liana B Baker Reuters Yahoo Inc has shortlisted close to 10 bidders in the auction for its core Internet ass Apple s stock suffers worst week since 2013 Friday April 29 By Noel Randewich SAN FRANCISCO Reuters Apple Inc on Friday ended its worst week on the stock market since 2013 as worries festered a Indonesian ride hailing firm Go Jek needs more funds in market fight CEO Friday April 29 By Eveline Danubrata JAKARTA Reuters Indonesian online ride hailing service Go Jek is in talks with potential investors to raise fres IBM launches new cloud services for blockchain Friday April 29 NEW YORK Reuters IBM on Friday announced new services to help companies design and develop blockchain technology in a secure environ Amazon s profit and revenue surge sweeps away doubts Friday April 29 By Supantha Mukherjee Reuters Amazon com Inc s shares jumped in early trading on Friday a day after the company reported profit and Google faces first EU fine in 2016 with no deal on cards sources Friday April 29 By Foo Yun Chee BRUSSELS Google is likely to face its first European Union antitrust sanction this year with little prospect of it set Rovi to buy DVR maker TiVo for 1 1 billion Friday April 29

    Original URL path: http://wxerfm.com/news/sections/technology/ (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive

  • U.S. spy court rejected zero surveillance orders in 2015: memo - News - 104.5 & 96.1 The Point Sheboygan's Hit Music
    Reuters The court did not reject any of the applications in whole or in part the memo showed The total represented a slight uptick from 2014 when the court received 1 379 applications and rejected none The court which acts behind closed doors was established in 1978 to handle applications for surveillance warrants against foreign suspects by U S law enforcement and intelligence agencies and grew more controversial after 2013 leaks by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden The electronic surveillance often is conducted with the assistance of Internet and telecommunications companies Civil liberties advocates have long derided the court for acting as a rubber stamp for government surveillance operations Government officials have said the Justice Department is careful about its applications and that sometimes orders are modified substantially by the court The court modified 80 applications in 2015 a more than fourfold increase from the 19 modifications made in 2014 The memo also stated that 48 642 national security letter NSL requests were made in 2015 by the FBI NSLs are a type of subpoena authority used to compel Internet and telecommunications firms to hand over customer data such as web browsing history email addresses and subscriber information One NSL often contains multiple requests for information such as a sequence of emails believed relevant to an investigation The majority of NSL requests 31 863 made in 2015 sought information on foreigners regarding a total of 2 053 individuals the memo stated The FBI made 9 418 requests for national security letters in 2015 for information about U S citizens and legal immigrants regarding a total of 3 746 individuals it showed The FBI also made 7 361 NSL requests for only subscriber information typically names addresses and billing records of Americans and foreigners regarding 3 347 different people National security

    Original URL path: http://wxerfm.com/news/articles/2016/apr/30/us-spy-court-rejected-zero-surveillance-orders-in-2015-memo/ (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Facebook hit with lawsuit over plan to issue new stock - News - 104.5 & 96.1 The Point Sheboygan's Hit Music
    Inc shareholder filed a proposed class action lawsuit on Friday in a bid to stop the company s plan to issue new Class C stock calling the move an unfair deal to entrench Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg as controlling shareholder The lawsuit filed in the Delaware Court of Chancery followed the social networking company s announcement on Wednesday of its plan to issue the shares The rejiggering of Facebook s share structure is effectively a 3 for 1 stock split Zuckerberg s said in December that he intends to put 99 percent of his Facebook shares into a new philanthropy project focusing on human potential and equality The lawsuit contends that a Facebook board committee which approved the share deal did not bargain hard with Zuckerberg to obtain anything of meaningful value in exchange for granting Zuckerberg added control In a statement Facebook said the plan is in the best interests of the company and all stockholders The company has said keeping Zuckerberg at the helm is key to its future success Facebook plans to create a new class of shares that are publicly listed but do not have voting rights Facebook will issue two of the so called Class C shares for each outstanding Class A and Class B share held by shareholders Those new Class C shares will be publicly traded under a new symbol Zuckerberg wishes to retain this power while selling off large amounts of his stockholdings and reaping billions of dollars in proceeds the lawsuit said The issuance of the Class C stock will in effect have the same effect as a grant to Zuckerberg of billions of dollars in equity for which he will pay nothing it said Google settled a lawsuit in 2013 shortly before trial which cleared the way for that company

    Original URL path: http://wxerfm.com/news/articles/2016/apr/29/facebook-hit-with-lawsuit-over-plan-to-issue-new-stock/ (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Cellphone in missing Florida teens case to be reviewed by Apple - News - 104.5 & 96.1 The Point Sheboygan's Hit Music
    water damaged phone that relates to the day the boys disappeared including photos texts and social media posts the data will be given to a judge who will decide if it is evidence and whether it may be shared with the families according to a report by WPLG television in Miami The agreement puts to rest for now a row between the families of Austin Stephanos 14 who owned the iPhone 6 and his friend Perry Cohen also 14 who borrowed it to communicate with his family the day they disappeared in July 2015 off the Atlantic Coast of South Florida according to the report The phone was recovered in March when the boys abandoned boat was discovered by a Norwegian crew near the Bahamas WPLG reported The phone was inside a locked box and was heavily water damaged the report said Cohen s family wanted the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission to treat the phone as evidence in an open missing persons case but the agency instead on returning it to Stephanos family the station reported Cohen s mother Pamela Cohen sued Stephanos family to have the phone returned to the state and allow her access to its contents the report said In an emergency hearing on Friday the two sides agreed to turn over the iPhone to Apple and let the judge decide what to do with any data that is retrieved the station reported The two boys neighbors and fishing buddies in their Palm Beach County hometown were last seen on July 24 2015 buying gasoline for their 19 foot single engine vessel before launching in Jupiter Florida The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission in a report said a pilot involved in the July search for the two teenagers told investigators he saw one of the

    Original URL path: http://wxerfm.com/news/articles/2016/apr/29/cellphone-in-missing-florida-teens-case-to-be-reviewed-by-apple/ (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Google, Fiat Chrysler working on self-driving car deal: sources - News - 104.5 & 96.1 The Point Sheboygan's Hit Music
    condition of anonymity because the discussions were private The talks were first reported Thursday by the blog AutoExtremist com Google a unit of Alphabet Inc and Fiat Chrysler declined to comment Google has said that it does not want to build self driving vehicles on its own and has explored alliances with auto companies but none have been finalized Fiat Chrysler Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne said this week the company was in talks with an advanced technology company but offered no details Executives at other auto makers including Ford Motor Co General Motors Co and Daimler AG have expressed wariness about alliances with Alphabet or other technology companies that could relegate them to the role of hardware suppliers Auto executives have said they do not want to stand by while Alphabet reaps richer profits from the data generated by vehicles and their passengers GM has signaled that it plans to go its own way on driverless car technology moving to buy self driving vehicle startup Cruise Automation On a conference call after Fiat Chrysler issued quarterly earnings on Tuesday Marchionne repeated that he was interested in partnerships with Google or Apple Inc Dialogue continues with people who are interested in exploring their relevance in the automotive world and we will continue to help them find their way out Marchionne said in response to a question about working with non traditional automakers John Krafcik a former auto executive who heads Alphabet s self driving car project made a public pitch for partners in January at a conference in Detroit in January Fiat Chrysler officials in Michigan and Italy have declined to comment on speculation that Google s technology could eventually be offered on the new Chrysler Pacifica minivan launched in February Marchionne and other FCA officials are scheduled on May 6

    Original URL path: http://wxerfm.com/news/articles/2016/apr/29/google-fiat-chrysler-working-on-self-driving-car-deal-sources/ (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive



  •